Why is it that every time Google releases a major update to its search algorithms, every SEO professional gets nervous? Simple: because these algorithm changes could easily mean that what worked yesterday in ranking your pages high on Google search results may no longer work now. This means that true-blue SEO professionals would have to learn the new things being introduced in the updates, which generally means more work for them. This also means that they would have to make some changes to make their clients and their own websites retain their high ranking.
Google has introduced Search Plus Your World, an update that puts Google+ status updates and content into your organic search.
What Google did was to put up a personal results tab on your search results. When you click this you would be able to see all the content, videos, posts and photos that were shared to you on Google+. As always, those articles and sites that your friends have +1′d will also be shown.
You could also search for people and they will show up both in auto-complete and in the search results. You can also find people and pages that are related to a specific area or topic of interest. For example, search for SEO and the Google+ top SEO professionals will figure prominently in your search.
What Can You Do?
1. Continue with your SEO efforts. Remember that for these changes to appear, you would need to be logged into your Google account while doing the search. Also, normal search results would appear unless you toggle on the Personal Results tag. So SEO is not really dead, nor is it becoming an activity that is secondary only to social media marketing.
2. Amp up your Google+ pages. If you have not paid any attention to Google+ before, now is the time to start. The good news is that Google+ now supports business pages and you can certainly learn from the businesses that are already on Google+.
3. Make sure that you get as many customers to add you on Google+. The number of followers you have on Google+ is no longer just a point to brag about. Instead, think of each and every connection as a distributor of your content. Remember that no matter how good your content is, it would only go so far as the number of followers you have. Those who are not connected to you will not see your content on their personal results.
4. Added importance of good content. Good content is shared by your customers to their own network, and the people in their networks would in turn share it to others. For each of this share, you gain a better chance of appearing on somebody’s personal results. Work on having good content that a lot of people would share. Think of each one who shares your content as a distribution point for your content, and ultimately it will lead more people back to your Google+ page.
5. Connect your Google+ page with other online properties you own. Link your Google+ page with your Twitter account, Facebook page, website and other pages you have. Not only will it help you gain more Google+ followers (for example, people who visit your website can add you on Google+), but it will also lead people who serendipitously finds your Google+ site on your other sites.
A large engagement shift from Search to Social is happening and Search Engine Optimization Inc. can assist you in that transition. Headquartered in Southern California, SEO Inc. has helped numerous businesses of all sizes navigate the field of Social Media Marketing to come out ahead of their competitors. Connect with SEO Inc. on Google+.